The construction industry is one of the least digitalized industries today. While other manufacturing industries have increased their productivity over the years, construction industry has stayed behind.
That must change. We need to change it.
Lemminkäinen is an expert in complex infrastructure construction and building construction in Northern Europe and one of the largest paving companies in its market area.
Lemminkäinen knows that digitalization will revolutionize this industry and invites you to be part of this journey. This innovation challenge is focused on Lemminkäinen’s Paving and Infra projects segments.
Take part in renewing our industry – join Lemminkäinen’s InfraHack!
Increasing operational efficiency through better information flows
- How could Lemminkäinen improve their operational efficiency through better information flows?
- How to collect data where it is not being collected yet, and how to utilize data that is being collected from machines and other devices in different points of the operations?
Lemminkäinen is interested in new ideas, solutions and technologies that can help them utilize this data for some of the following goals:
- Improving safety at work
- Improving information flow and communication between employees, customers, contractors and road users
- Automating data collection for better insights
- Optimizing the supply chain / logistics
- Increasing the utilization rate of resources and machines
Open challenge – How would you help Lemminkäinen digitalize the infra construction business? What kinds of new business ideas, improvements or services can you come up with for Lemminkäinen?
- Application deadline: April 21st
- Hackathon: May 19th-21st 2017
- Pilot Phase: August-September 2017
- Sari Inkilä – Executive Vice President, Strategy & Development
- Robert Blumberg – Executive Vice President, Paving
- Harri Kailasalo – Executive Vice President, Infra projects
- Jaakko Kivi – Senior Vice President, Project and Resource Management, Infra projects
- Jarmo Rautanen – Senior Vice President, Paving Technical office
- Samsung devices (phones, tablets, VR gear, 360 cameras)
- IBM Bluemix
- Basic data package
- Example project documentation
- Supply chain and process descriptions
- Incident reports (occupational safety)
- Production data
- If needed, machine and sensor data can be made available
Apply with a team of 2-3 people. All applications will be reviewed after the deadline and all applicants will be informed one week after the deadline. 6-8 teams will be selected to join the challenge. Groups that submit early have a small advantage because we have more time to read their applications. Each selected team will receive a 1000 euro reward for participating in the challenge. The best teams have a chance for up to 20k eur pilot projects with Lemminkäinen.
Who will own my idea?
Ideas are free for everyone to use but the IPR for any software codebase or documents produced during the challenge will stay with the team. The host has the first right of refusal to negotiate further collaboration with the team to purchase or continue working on the project initiated at the hack.