Ponsse Plc is one of the world’s largest manufacturers of cut-to-length forest machines. The roots of the family-owned company, grown from a machine entrepreneur’s dream into an international export company, lie deep in the Finnish countryside. The company is still based in Vieremä, in the same location in which it was founded in 1970. Ponsse operates in 40 countries and almost 80 per cent of its turnover from exports. The company’s turnover in 2020 was about 640 million euros.
Ponsse is known for its innovative product development, which has been awarded with e.g. the international Red Dot design award. In Finland Ponsse has been nominated as the company with the best reputation, leaving behind the likes of KONE and Supercell.
“Industryhack has been our partner for almost five years. They have helped us to build our partner network and to launch important development activities smoothly with new partners.”
– Juha Inberg, Director, Technology and R&D, Ponsse Plc
During our collaboration we have supported Ponsse’s product development with the following assignments:
- Designing and facilitating vision/strategy workshops for product development
- Designing, building and managing Ponsse Innovation Lab – a partnership program to coordinate innovative collaboration partnerships for Ponsse
- Co-creation workshops to discover and prioritise challenges that guide product development
- Mapping suitable partners and co-creation of solutions through challenge contests (solutions for example for Ponsse Manager, operator wellbeing and technical product features)
- Organizing internal challenge contests to engage Ponsse personnel in development and innovation activities
Multiple solutions and partnerships have been created as a result of our collaboration supporting the goals of product development.
As part of Ponsse Innovation Lab a challenge roadmap was created to make development activities more consistent. In addition, over 50 innovative companies have been engaged in the partner network as members. Collaboration with possible partners has been tested with five challenge contests and following proof-of-concepts projects. Dozens of Ponsse people have participated in internal challenge contests and workshops we have facilitated.
Greetings from Ponsse CEO
In this video our CEO, Mikael Hautala, and CEO of Ponsse, Juho Nummela, have a summery chat (in Finnish).